I finally caught up with my leisure reading and literally surprised myself when I finished reading Dear John in a day! There were a few tear-jerking moments, something which Nich has mastered oh so well. I could relate with the moments of anguish when John was at lost for words or his rebellion while growing up (I must say I was a rebel with a cause as well or at least I'd like to think I was!), or when Savannah wrote those beautiful letters to articulate what's happening in her life while apart from John, or the conflicted feeling of letting go (yes its hard but I admire her courage for knowing when its over), etc.
The material advocates that we should never judge a book by its cover (and its not easy to NOT be judgmental) and to give everyone an equal chance regardless of what the outcome would be. And that communication, honesty and trust are the cornerstones of a stable relationship. Allowing the one you love to grow in order to attain his/her greatest potential speaks of your maturity. Sometimes you just know if someone cares for you just by being, without the need to utter those 3 words.
What I find appealing about Nich's writing is that he always tells beautiful stories while creating awareness about a cause that is close to his heart. For example, I also learnt much about Autism and Asperger's syndrome from this material.
In reality, its rare to find someone with a tender heart who is willing to extend that unconditional love, without owning the girl he loves. People - by human definition - tend to be selfish and perhaps this book raises hope that a John Tyree could be for real :)
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment